During the year, WIS undertook a full end-to-end review of its ethical sourcing strategy, risk model, audit program and resourcing. The outcome was a more consistent and robust approach that will enable the division to have greater confidence that factories and suppliers are conducting business in a responsible way.
As a result of this review, WIS is:
- Implementing procedures, communications and training to embed the updated WIS ethical sourcing policy and new audit program;
- Embedding a new audit program that includes a clearly defined risk model to apply the right level of priority and focus to specific supplier categories;
- Categorising factories using a clearly defined classification system to ensure the appropriate level of due diligence;
- Ensuring all own-brand Blackwoods, WWG and Coregas suppliers are registered with Sedex and maintain a factory audit program in countries of manufacture identified as medium risk and above against the Maplecroft Human Rights Risk Atlas index;
- Implementing improved governance and review of the program with a formal committee and sponsor meeting on a regular basis;
- Ensuring the new ethical sourcing organisation structure is implemented, including new dedicated ethical sourcing experts.
Over time, WIS will also include products and services not-for-resale into the new approach.